Friday, October 21

Juno & the *cue Dublin accent* Paycock

We all headed into Dublin City on Wednesday for a very English day. We got the bus first thing in the morning, no messing about with classes or the likes :) Of course us fódlians had to go on our beloved mini bus and we set off in the hopes that one of our texts would reach Spin 1038 and they'd play our requested song.
First stop, the National Library. It was unfortunate we couldn't go into the actual library with actual books and things you would expect to see? So we stayed in the display room checking out different random facts and having a read through the guest book to see where all the people who visited the library had hailed from. 
Next was the National Museum. I had never been before so I was overwhelmed by the amount of historical artefacts in the huge room, and I didn't know where to look first. There was lots of things from Irish history which I thought was great because you always want to know what people did in Ireland before us. They wore huge cloaks called mantles and I was surprised to find out they even locked their houses with these little wooden keys. I found the Egyptian exhibition very interesting. It reminded me of all the stories I used to hear and movies and cartoons I used to watch growing up. It was weird when I was looking at the coffins of ancient Egypt and knowing there was actually a mummies in there, real, deceased Egyptians! I then started thinking of the film Night at the Museum and decided it was time to get out of there :L The most memorable element of the museum was the bog bodies for sure. These were bodies which had been buried in the bogs of Ireland, only to be preserved. The skin turned to leather and a kind of crépe paper looking constituent? The ginger hair remained on their heads and their teeth and nails remained in tact. 


This hand had been preserved  and kept the same size as it always would have been. The nails were still apparent.


This guys hair remained in perfect condition on his head. I remember he also had a  bit of a beard too!

We went to a W.B. Yeats exhibition. He was one of the greatest Irish writers. He wrote The Lake Isle of Inisfree, which (I don't know about anyone else) I had to learn off by heart back when I was in primary school. I was told it was a very important poem and Yeats was a very important man. So far in my life, this poem has helped me.. in no way at all. -.- Was it a waste of time? Totally! Naah I'm sure I can find a use for that little bit of knowledge I have :P So apparently Yeats was in love with this young'un called Modde Gonne. Why, I do not know, but he did have quite the obsession :/ He wrote most of his plays and poems based about her and his feelings towards her.


One McChicken Sandwich, fries and an Oreo Shakeaway later, we set off for the historical Abbey Theatre (a.k.a. National Theatre of Ireland) which has had many of Yeats' plays performed there in the past. The scheduled show for Wednesday was Juno and the Paycock by Sean O'Casey, another of Ireland's great  playwrights. What a coincidence was it that we had all studied this play in class? :o Well, really it was a highly planned out trip by our three English teachers; Ms C, Ms G and Ms B. (Much thanks and appreciation for them!)
The play is set during the 1920's in Dublin, when there was war and havoc in Ireland. (At this time the rest of the world were happily dancing away to the Charleston). The Boyle family are living in the tenements and are getting on with life as Juno takes care of the whole family. Her husband 'the Captain' will moan about the pains in his legs any time there is a chance of him getting a job. The family do however come into a lot of money and are happy indulge. It all comes quickly crumbling down though, when it turns out the papers giving them all this dosh was filled out incorrectly. By this time it is too late and they are in waaay over their heads in debt. Meanwhile, little do we know, the children of this family have secrets of their own.
SPOILER AHEAD! :
Mary's boyfriend, Bentham, has done a runner to England, and she is left, none other than pregnant. Poor Johnny, with his broken hip and his missing arm, was having terrible visions and was unexplainably nervous and afraid all the time. This all became clear when two men visited the house to take him away. He was a traitor. He gave information about his 'best friend' who had been killed. Johnny's body was then found later on. Juno was left to cope with all this family drama, and 
"the world in a terrible state of chassis".

It was a great day out altogether! :D 
And thanks again Ms L for letting me fly off to my next class! (Life Saver!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment