Friday, March 2

Ef Em Won Oh For

This week we were out exploring the world of work once again.
I was lucky enough to receive a work experience placement in FM104 'Dublin's Hit Music Station'. It is the best radio station in Dublin and I was really excited because I've listened to the station for as long as I can remember! I was also glad to have the company of Sive and Shannon :)


So week started out pretty slow and we were just sitting round on computers all day :Z It wasn't what I expected at all and I thought perhaps I made a mistake in applying for a placement here.
Luckily by the third day things were starting to pick up. We got too call people who won cinema tickets for a text-in competition which was nice because you could hear how excited everyone was when they found out they won :)
We got a tour of the studios and learnt how to work all the different computer screens, buttons and faders. It was really cool.We also scripted a radio ad and we got to produce it ourselves! This was so much fun and we spent a good while on it :)






The next day we uploaded pictures of the Olly Murs concert to the FM104 website and the pictures went up immediately which seemed really weird :L We also labelled prizes so they could be collected by winners in the big prize store room which had thousands of CDs and loads of really cool prizes! We made a list of suggestions for goodies :) and we sorted a few competition entries. In the afternoon we got a talk from a lady from marketing which was really interesting because there is always so much going on and she really has to be two steps ahead of what's happening. I was also introduced to none other than Adrian and Jeremy! I was a bit star-struck because I've been listening to their show for years!  And their voices don't really match their bodies at all!

Finally I got a chance to cruise around with the 'Alfa MiTos' around Dublin handing out goodies, getting people to request songs and promoting FM104. It was really fun that day because it was nice to get out of the office :) They also showed us the FM104 Roadhog which is a massive truck and a radio show can be aired live from it. It was being set up outside the O2 for a concert, Florence + the Machine for that night so people can take a look at it.


I was glad it actually turned out to be a good week and I wish I had at least one more day there :( I can still listen in though and now I'll know all the little tricks and methods of how the radio station is run.

No comments:

Post a Comment